Sunday, April 8, 2018

SUNNY MORNING - GREEN MOUNTAIN HIGH

Pic 3 - 12" x 16" acrylic seascape in progress
          Looks like another sunny day as I glance out the window across the snow-filled pasture and up towards the forested ridge. During the winter, after each snowfall I would often see deer and moose tracks crisscrossing one another but this winter there seems to be a lack of prints. I heard on the radio the other day that St. Andrews, NB is considering a deer-culling in response to too many Bambi's taking up residence in people's yards. They say the deer population in the area has increased and that may be but still, people's yards are not the natural habitat for deer. I suspect that if the forests keep getting carelessly denuded and poisoned that even more wildlife, not just deer will be moving into the towns and cities. It's only natural for them to migrate to where food is available. And isn't it odd how we put the blame on the deer and not recognizing the fact that us humans are the real problem.
          Since I haven't been my normal bouncy self the last while, I have been painting more, not just to wile away the time but to still be productive in my own way. I've been enjoying working in my small kitchen-studio alongside my wife Sarah as she bakes, cooks, draws mandalas and braids small rugs. We can talk or not, whatever the mood suits or how concentrated we are on our projects, which are leaning more towards the hippie era, flowers, beads, peace and love. We listen to a lot of 60's and 70's music, Sarah often singing along to a Janis Joplin hit like Me and Bobby McGee. It's a fun time together. 
          Living out in the boonies makes it a touch difficult to earn a living so we have been putting some effort into getting our online Etsy store up and running. Since there are so many other similar stores, it's a touch difficult to bring one's own store to the forefront. But like a fellow-Etsy person said, "It took me about a year before I started doing real well," so we'll just keep plugging away at promoting it. My only problem with selling artwork in this manner, it sometimes makes me feel like a used car salesman. And then, I guess it's like my publisher told me years ago, "You have to sell your book shamelessly." So that's what I'm doing as I pull my overcoat open and say, "Would you like to buy a painting? No. How about a boho bag, a fridge magnet or a bookmark? How about a book? Would you like to buy a book so you can use your new bookmark?" These things and more are available at our Etsy store.
          Well...time to get on with my day and start work on my painting and since it's looking very pleasant, a Green Mountain-high, a short walk just might be the ticket too. Perhaps I'll see some deer tracks but I doubt it. Since our neighbours cut down their trees, I've noticed a lack of wildlife in the area. It wasn't uncommon to see a bear tromp across the yard, a fox dart out of the forest, a wild turkey stop under the apple tree or a moose thunder off towards the ridge but over the last year, very few wild animals have I seen...peace, eh - Trip

No comments:

Post a Comment