Sunday, April 15, 2018

GRIZZLY BEARS, BARROOM BRAWLS AND FLEET-FOOTED VANISHING ACTS

Illustration from one of my kid's
stories, Mindy and Caesar
          There was a time when I was able to leap over a single bar stool and run out of the door before all hell broke loose. Not that I participated in many barroom brawls during my younger days but sometimes there's just no arguing with a drunk and since I'm adverse to getting punched, taking flight versus confronting might was usually in my best interest. When I worked at the racetrack years ago, I can remember sitting in a bar with a group of my friends from the stables when an argument became rather heated and then the fists started flying. I'm not quite sure what happened but I suddenly found myself on the floor. Being somewhat small in stature but fleet on my feet and in this particular case, just as speedy on my hands and knees, like a snake, I simply wriggled between the angry fighters' fancy footwork and slid out the door, I wasn't about to hang around for the cops to show up and possibly get dinged for any damages that may have occurred. Besides, I knew firsthand how much it hurts when one takes a full punch in the face and three teeth snap off, and hey, dental work is costly.
          When I worked in television as an art director, I met a guest who was going to be interviewed on one of the station's shows. He filmed wild life, grizzly bears being one of the main subjects. He said to film the best dramatic pose was to get the grizzly to stand on its hind legs and then come for him. I'm not sure if he had more guts than brains but he said before he started filming he had an escape route planned. Realizing he couldn't outrun a grizzly, he was of the firm
belief, out of sight - out of mind, so that's what he did, simply took off and hid behind some boulders or whatever. I have to agree that now you're here and now, poof, your gone is something I can relate to. I may not be much of a fighter but my words can sometimes cause people to react in a not too friendly manner like the time when I was in high school and some guy took offence. When school ended for the day and I stepped outside the door, he was waiting to punch my lights out. Like, I said, I was light on my feet and a hell of a sprinter (in a foot race on Sports Day I was a loser but with my life on the line, like Jumpin'-Jack-Flash, I could dash). However, this guy was bigger, stronger, and had whiskers, whereas I had a peach-fuzzed face, pimples, wore glasses and had a voice like a girl's. And although my little  lily-white legs were fast, unfortunately his legs were longer and were gaining on me as we raced down a steep hill. I could hear him cursing at me as we ran and when I heard his footsteps getting closer and closer, I knew I had to switch strategies, I was running a losing race. I wasn't sure if my next maneuver would work out but what the hell, when I saw his hand reaching for my shoulder through my peripheral vision, although I was going full blast down the hill, I suddenly dropped to my knees. Well...where he expected me to be and where I was was was two different places and he tumbled head over heels over me onto the cement sidewalk. Before he could recompose himself and I suspect he may have been hurt, I was up on my feet, scaled an 8' wire fence as easily as leaping over a single bar stool and had disappeared amid a crowd of high school kids on their way home.
          At age 76, I'm a very mellow fellow, couldn't possibly outrun anything, actually had a confrontation with a mean old rooster awhile back and lost - ended up in hospital emergency getting some antibiotics pumped into me. Looking back, I've certainly had some close calls, most of which didn't materialize into receiving a beating but take it from me, being blessed with fast, fancy footwork doesn't always work. Sometimes, there's just no way out, like the time I was a paper boy and sassed off to the manager. After a short chase, the manager and all the other paper boys right behind me, he grabbed me, through me to the ground and began thumping me. Sometimes even if you lose the fight, you don't necessarily have to lose the battle so when he said to me, "Have you had enough?" I pointed to my chin and said, "You'd better give me one more here." Yeah, it hurt, but a lot of the paperboys had a new regard for me, which actually paid off not long afterward, when I was inside a house necking with one of their girlfriends. While they were deciding which one of them would fight me, I snuck out the back door and sprinted off into the dark...peace, eh - Trip

My wife and I recently started up an Etsy Store a little while ago and if you'd like to check out our artistic creations just click on the link.   

No comments:

Post a Comment