Sunday, April 29, 2018

BIODEGRADABLE JEWELLERY

Some Samples of Our Hippie-Jewelry - $10. ea.
          Yesterday, Sarah and I attended an arts and crafts event in Florenceville, NB. Cortney Ardnt-Rector did a wonderful job putting the event together and it was the second time for us to attend, Sarah's delicious cooking and baking going over great once again. I noticed the attendance was good and steady all through the day and I had fun getting back in touch with some of my artistic friends. During the past while, I'd been working on our own jewelry hippie designs and, having never done such a thing, was wondering how people would react and if I was just wasting my time. Quite a few people liked the jewelry, even to the extent of buying some, so I'm thinking it might be a good item to produce and sell when we go hippie-skippy across Canada in 2019, help pay our costs - from the looks of the rising gas prices, come next summer, fuel could be quite expensive. 
          Because the operation as the doctor quoted, I'll feel as though I've "been hit by a truck", painting and making jewelry just might be the ticket to help pass the time as my interior wounds heal. A woman who bought one of my pieces asked how I made it and couldn't believe I used salt-dough.  I've used polymer to sculpt lots of stuff over the years but why I chose salt-dough over polymer is because I can be a lot more creative painting on it and I discovered paint doesn't stick to polymer that great, was able to scrape it off with my fingernail. In this age of plastic-garbage filling our oceans, lakes and landscapes, I was pleased to tell her that the jewelry was biodegradable, if it wasn't so salty, even edible. Also, because of the low cost of the materials used, if I don't count my time too much, I can sell the stuff at a very reasonable price that anyone can afford, even a kid. One thing I really enjoy about our hippie jewelry is that it takes me back in time to when my kids were small and we used to do some dough-art. Hmm, I wonder if I'll ever grow up or maybe I'm just a kid at heart? Yeah, that's a good way to look at it, just a kid at heart
.            Since moving into the house, predominately a corner of the kitchen, giving up my outside studio, I have enjoyed painting and creating things while Sarah does the same thing or cooks and bakes - we have a lot of fun together, whether we're chatting or just involved in our own thing. When I'm back on my feet, half-assed normal again, I don't think I'll move back to the studio, just use it as a workshop when doing something messy or quite smelly. Besides, Sarah doesn't like it when I'm out of sight for too long. We are both sort of up in the air concerning the eventual outcome of my operation, so selling my studio, which is its own building, sometimes comes to the forefront; either selling it or maybe moving it over to another piece of property and then moving into it - would make a terrific tiny house with a great loft for a bedroom. 
          I really slept in today - it was noon before I squinted at the bright sunshine streaming through the window. This tells me that there is really something wrong with me because this is very unusual  - 6-7 hours a night being the norm sleeping. I guess my body is more tired than I realize. And with that thought in mind, so late in the day, I had better get a move on and get some things done...peace, eh! - Trip 

My wife and I recently started up an Etsy Store a little while ago and if you'd like to check out our artistic creations just click on the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment