Friday, April 20, 2018

SHARP KNIVES, EXCELLENT CUISINE AND A FRIENDLY EX

Samples of Our Artistic Endeavours
          Seems like my life has been sort of a waiting game for about the past six months and as I was sitting here this morning gnawing my fingernails down to the bone wondering about the next episode, the telephone rang. We received the confirmed date for my operation. May 7th is the day. As I heard the words, the date conjured up a special date on the calendar; May 7th being my ex-wife's birthday. Hmm, my ex lives on the other side of the country and if she was a witch, I might be a little worried. I mean, I'll soon be lying helplessly on a table, a sharp blade glittering in the bright lights of the OR, one little slip of the doc's nimble fingers and she might receive good news. However, that fleeting  thought quickly faded away into oblivion as I thought about my ex-wife Doreen. She and I, despite all the differences we had years ago, are still the best of friends. I know that she's still standing in my corner and only wishes me a fast and successful recovery and I thank her for that.
            Burning bridges. Some people believe in burning their bridges behind them but I'm not one of them. That is to say, I may set them afire and cause a huge smoke screen but I'm not going to let them burn down to the water line because I may need them again. Sometimes getting a little singed jumping back into the fire is a good way to escape something nastier. Although I'm crossing another bridge now and holding onto the rails for dear life, I realize I need this bridge in tact for my return to a normal life once again. But I don't kid myself about this bridge because it's not as strong as the others. Not having the strength that I once possessed, this high, skinny bridge is so rickety, it's continually swaying precariously over a steep narrow valley, the boulders below sharp and hard. I can't say that I'm scared crossing this bridge with no lifelines attached to my not so firm body, but honestly, it is a touch worrisome.
           Although spring officially arrived some weeks ago, we still have quite a lot of snow around the house even though it is melting quite fast. Near the shallow well that we used to use for our drinking water when we first moved here, and where the ground is mostly bare of snow, the crocuses and snowdrops have yet to poke their sleepy heads above ground. I don't know if spring here at the base of Green Mountain is so short, although the well is also ringed with daffodils, they never bloom. I've been hoping that most of the snow will be gone around the tepee before I have my operation because winter was pretty hard on it, the heavy snows actually snapping one of the poles. Of course, I'm also hoping the tepee, although it appears as if it will be a little wobbly, will still be standing on its own once the snow has melted. I used it last year for my outdoor studio after the blackflies and mosquitoes died off. It's a great space and with a little fire to keep a pot of tea going, I found it a very pleasant way to spend most of the day outside, even if it rained. 
Sarah's Mouth-Watering Cuisine - mmm Delicious 
          Getting back to May 7th, it's actually an opportune day for my operation since my wife, Sarah has a cooking gig at the 2nd Annual Spring Artisan Market in Florenceville, NB on Saturday, April 28th. There's a good chance that I'll also be able to attend to help her out and also display some of our artistic endeavours. Last year was a fun time since I got to rub shoulders with some of my artist friends that I seldom get to see because of where we live. So hey, if any of you readers are into art and excellent cuisine or just want to stop by and shoot-the-shit, drop by and see us...peace, eh! - Trip

My wife and I recently started up an Etsy Store a little while ago and if you'd like to check out our artistic creations just click on the link.

2 comments:

  1. Yes,I will be in your corner on May 7, hoping and sending a few prayers that everything goes well, take care you and Sarah,Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Doreen - Sarah's doing well at looking after this old fart

    ReplyDelete