Thursday, May 3, 2018

LIFE IS A GAME OF CRAP - LITERALLY

C'mon Lucky Seven
          Life at the moment, almost feels like when I first climbed on the newly-erected roller-coaster at the PNE in Vancouver, BC many years ago. Not being brave enough to sit in the front seat, I had selected one near the centre. I was smiling as the roller-coaster slowly climbed towards the top of the first high drop, the view of the fair grounds, Windermere Park, massive grain elevators and harbour becoming more and more spectacular. Not exactly afraid of heights but still a person who feels my knees weaken, my legs becoming like wet noodles whenever I near the edge of a high, steep precipice, I had been reluctant to climb aboard but if I hadn't, my friends would have called me chicken. So there I sat, scared as hell, yet enjoying the initial beginning of the ride immensely, that is, until it reached its apex and then the persons' heads in the seat in front of me suddenly disappeared. I would have been screaming as it shot down the narrow rails towards the sharp turn at the bottom but the force of the air rushing into my gaping mouth only caused me to gasp and squeeze the bar I was holding onto more tightly; I'm sure my finger prints became a permanent fixture that sunny, summer day. And that's where I seem to be now, the people's heads sitting in front of me are about to disappear, or is it me who's about to disappear?
          Having undergone chemo/radiation treatments already, the possibility of having more after the operation to rid my anus canal of that dreaded word, 'cancer', I of course feel as if I've climbed aboard a roller-coaster once again, the ride and end results completely out of my hands. Well, maybe not completely out of my hands, my wife Sarah has made certain that I eat and drink properly, take my medicine (marijuana oil) regularly and don't overwork myself physically. Although I feel relatively fine, a lack of energy persists. Between the treatments, disease and whatever other ailments I may be inflicted with, my idea of feeling fine, feeling normal is now on a lower level than it used to be. But hey, that's to be expected. Like the time when I was a teenager doubling a friend on my bicycle, speeding down a hill and he accidentally stuck his foot in the front wheel and I flew over the handle bars and struck my head on the pavement. It took awhile to recover from the head injury but I did. Like then, I have a lot of people worried about me and trying to make me well again. Whether it's concerned doctors and nurses or relatives and friends sending their prayers and good thoughts my way, it's all appreciated. 
          To say I'm not a little nervous or scared about my situation would be fake bravado, even though I'm up for it mentally. The unknown is always scary in my opinion, even when I knew the end results were most likely come out positive because the thing about the unknown, one little blip and everything can go sideways. Being a gambler at heart, always trying to beat the odds, if I was once again a participant in a crap game, tossing a wad of money on the floor, I would still take the time to blow on the dice, roll them in my hands for luck and then yell at the top of my lungs, "C'mon seven or eleven!" as I throw them clattering up against the wall, the little black dots deciding who wins and who loses. And that's where I am now, I'm bent over, my arm is outstretched and the dice are about to be flung from my hand against the wall; the odds are good, even in my favour but boxcars and snake-eyes also abide on the those little devils. But hey, here's to roller-coaster rides and especially rolling sevens and elevens...peace, eh! - Trip

My wife and I recently started up an Etsy Store a little while ago and if you'd like to check out our artistic creations just click on the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment