Friday, May 4, 2018

HIPPIE-HANGOUT, HEARTS AND HOPING

Tie-dyed Seat Covers for 'Hippie-Hangout'
          My wife Sarah has been working at getting our 'Hippie-Hangout' trailer ready for her to stay in at a friend's place while I'll soon be recovering in the hospital for a week to 10 days after my operation. She tie-dyed the bed sheets and seat covers. It looked as if she was having a blast even though her hands became very stained from the dye; scrubbing them with soap and water and even paint thinner wouldn't remove the stain. When we're dressed in our tie-dyed outfits, should anyone look through the windows they won't be able to see us because we'll look as if we have blended into the decor. 
            For me, the 70's, the hippie-era seemed like a Renaissance, a new awakening of music and art, psychedelic sounds and mind-blowing colours coming to the forefront. And now, years later, as I step back in time, I'm finding it exciting once again even though I have to admit that I'm more mellow, more laid-back - difficult to be seriously be uptight when everything, including my skin is hanging as loose as the balls on a moose. Also, my artwork has once again been somewhat influenced by that era, peace symbols, long hair, outrageous clothes and sayings such as, "make love not war" coming to mind.  But more importantly, although the 70's are somewhat of a haze now, partially alcohol and drug induced, I get to share this time again with my younger wife, who can't wait for us to hit the highway in our "Hippie-Hangout" - should be a groovy road-trip across Canada come 2019 - hoping to have a lot of good vibes, good times!
2 More Hearts to be Added to the Trailer
              As I look through the kitchen window at our 'Hippie-Hangout' waiting patiently in the driveway, even though I've painted and hand-lettered much of it's surface, I see that it is still an unfinished canvas, a work of art in progress, and I'm itching to get back at it. However, depending on my condition over the summer months, I may or may not add anything but hearts (just lettered two) to the trailer, which people are still ordering - "spreadin' the love" or wishing they could come along with us being the incentive. The thing about lettering hearts, it doesn't take much energy and I don't have to stand on any chairs or ladders, I can simply sit at a table and take my time. Which reminds me, I was up on the roof a little while ago making repairs from the heavy snow and it's surprising how slippery it was even though there wasn't much of an incline. Sarah of course, since I've come off a few ladders the past few years, narrowly missing being seriously injured, is very worried about me climbing up on anything. Also, since I sometimes feel a bit woozy, it's probably not in my best interest physically to be doing anything the least bit dangerous, so anything I paint on the trailer has to be hazard free.
          I'll soon be taking a break from writing this blog, although writing it on morphine might be a real trip, might even take me back to the 70's...mmm...now that's a thought...peace, eh! - Trip 

My wife and I recently started up an Etsy Store a little while ago and if you'd like to check out our artistic creations just click on the link. 

No comments:

Post a Comment