Wednesday, May 2, 2018

FLOODING, FLOWERS AND FEELING FINE

Flower Painting is Coming Along
          Flooding in Frederickton, NB is very serious and the basement suite we stayed at in Saint John, which is located on the river, now has 4" of water sloshing around in it. I hope the damage isn't too severe. The last remnants of snow at our place just melted yesterday but East Grand Lake still contains quite a bit of ice. Since I barely went outdoors this past winter, I was sort of unaware about how much snow had fallen, must have been a lot because it's already May, almost summer, and glimpses of winter can still be seen cowering in the shadows. 
       The extreme flooding conditions doesn't really surprise me because the forests have been seriously clear-cut and are still being mowed down relentlessly, plus, due to all the runoffs, I expect the chemicals such as Glyphosate, which has been used extensively in the forests are most likely flowing into the rivers and streams. This sort of madness doesn't say much for us as a species. - I almost feel as if I'm morphing into a lemming heading toward a high cliff and because of the horde behind me, I'll have no choice but to topple over and be smashed on the rocks below. I've been an activist protesting against these moronic practices but I have come to realize that the majority of votes are held by city folk, many of them thinking that camping is lounging beside a fancy resort pool, a poor peon constantly bringing them pina coladas to sip. They really have no idea how important the country side and the wilderness are for our own survival, only think about their own lifestyle - they continually misspell ecology, e-c-o-n-o-m-y. 
          Not many days remaining before my operation on May 7th takes place at Waterville and I'm trying to finish off some jobs that need doing around the house, while I'm still capable of lifting and carrying things. I'm also working on a commissioned painting, which I'm hoping to complete by the weekend and then mail off. Someone mentioned, as if it was below him to paint a vase full of flowers that he had never done such a thing, but why not paint such a picture says I? Sure, when I paint things just for my own enjoyment or have something to say picturesquely, I probably wouldn't paint a vase full of flowers. The photo I'm working from, although it doesn't have any particular meaning for me other than a challenge to do a fairly decent job of painting it, may have a lot of meaning for the customer; every time they look at the painting hanging on their wall, they might smile at the special memory those flowers represent. Regardless, I'm quite enjoying painting the flowers and leaves, the vivid colours and shapes slowly bringing them to life, albeit a two dimensional life that never needs any watering or sunlight, but a life just the same. 
          It's a beautiful sun-shiny day outside and it feels almost like summer, expect the blood sucking black-flies and mosquitoes will soon be here; actually saw a skeeter yesterday scoping out the territory like a scout. I've already rearranged the tepee poles so it's more sturdy and hopefully, after bug-season has ended, if I'm up to it physically, it will once again become my outdoor studio. It's a great space on a warm sunny day - a little fire going, a pot of tea on the boil, doesn't get much better than that...peace, eh! - Trip

My wife and I recently started up an Etsy Store a little while ago and if you'd like to check out our artistic creations just click on the link.

2 comments: