Thursday, September 5, 2019

TRIP 'N DAISY MEET THE BEATLES

The Beatles Crossing Abbey Road
          From out of nowhere, we were once again flying Eagle-Express. Beneath us, Ireland became a green blur and as we flew across the Irish Sea towards England, my mind was drifting towards the past and one of the places I would really like to visit. And then, as if an enormous eagle wasn't out of place, it gently set our Hippie Hangout down on Abbey Road. And, as if this wasn't a groovy mind-blow in itself, as I looked through the truck's windshield, I could scarce believe my eyes, John, Ringo, Paul and George were crossing the street right in front of us. I looked at Daisy and she looked at me as I said, "Is it just my imagination or do you see what I see?"
         "If you're watching the Beatles crossing Abbey Road like on their album cover, then I guess we are both seeing the same thing."
         And then, as if the impossible were happening, in disbelief I watched as they gathered on the corner and then came over to the Hippie Hangout, Paul asking, "Man, is your caravan ever cool. Do you mind if we take a peek inside?"
          This can't be happening, this must be a magic mushroom experience and to be sure, I gave myself a pinch. "Ow!" Nope, it was a happening. Paul McCartney was actually talking to us.
          Daisy was beside herself as we all settled around our little table inside the trailer, George, the last to be seated. Their bigger than life presence was overwhelming and I was completely gob-smacked as was Daisy. The meeting of the then and now was really a mind-blow especially when John said, "I see by the license plates that you're from Canada, which is very cool. But what I don't understand is that the year is 2019 and this is 1969; 50 years difference."
              I was at a loss for words and so was Daisy, which was highly unusual for her because she always has something to say. Finally, to break the silence and not really wanting to say we were from the future, I mean, I didn't really want to tell him about his death or George's either so I uttered, "Hmm...what can I tell you. We're on a trip and boy are we ever trippin'!" To quickly change the subject or perhaps turn it in another direction I added, "Daisy, I bet the boys (because in real life, I'm actually an old man) would love some of your brownies."
           But John wouldn't let it go and said, "You guys look the part for 1969 but something just doesn't seem right." As he chewed his brownie and continued looking at us strangely he added, "Especially the truck."
          George, perhaps tuning into my apprehension suddenly spoke up and said, "Let it be."
          And then Ringo spoke up, "Yeah man. Let it be."
          To which Paul piped up, "Yeah. Hey man, hang loose. Let it be."
          (Now, I realize a lot of people who are reading this blog most likely think that it's all fake, just a figment of my imagination colliding with the reality of my realities but hey, would I kid you?")
           I'm not sure if the Beatles realized that Abbey Road was their last album together or not and I'm sure many chemical-assisted arguments have wondered that too. However, what I do know is that John Lennon's final remark is remarkable when he said, "Let it be, that's a great title for the next album", which was the last album they released.
          History was being made or should I say being performed in our little trailer as soon as Ringo started tapping a drum beat on the table followed by Paul singing, "Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be Whisper words of wisdom, let it be..." 
           I don't know if it was Daisy's brownies or the fat doobie we passed around the table but before I knew it, poof!...cheers, eh!  

No comments:

Post a Comment