Monday, September 2, 2019

RENEWING OUR WEDDING VOWS

          One of the reasons my wife and I went to Nanaimo recently was to renew our wedding vows as Trip 'n Daisy. We sort of did it hippie-style - love and peace and all that sort of stuff. The vows were to take place before everyone chowed down. Unfortunately, while I was talking to a woman, my energy level dropped dramatically and we had to postpone the ceremony - I most likely would have collapsed otherwise. A couple of hours later, after stretching out, I was able to carry on. I noticed as I was down on one knee with a silver daisy ring in my hand asking her to remarry me, promising my continuation of undying love, a nearby group were in tears. Although, still feeling somewhat weak, I was able to stand and listen to Daisy's wonderful words and I have to say, I really love this woman - am not sure that I would still be above ground if it were not for her. 
          Our exchange of vows was held at the German Hall and on the walls were several paintings that I had painted for a German restaurant years ago in Ladysmith. Each 4'x6' painting was situated at a booth and took about a week to paint. I really enjoyed painting there because besides getting paid for the work, the owner was a wonderful cook. She fed me wiener-schnitzel and other tasty dishes, accompanied by mugs of beer - talk about great perks! I heard that when she later sold the restaurant to an Italian, he began painting over some of the pictures and I can understand that. However, when the waitress told him they just popped out of the moldings, he sold them all to her and she in turn sold them to the German Hall. So besides holding our hippie ceremony at the hall, it was great to see the paintings again.
          It's highly unlikely I will ever renew our wedding vows again or ever paint about dozen paintings for a restaurant, but one thing I know - I'll still keep on painting and will love my Daisy till I take my last breath...cheers, eh!   
       

3 comments:

  1. FACEBOOK COMMENT: Suzan Carsley Wow! Only a week to do each painting!!!!! So much detail, and the one with the whole contingent, my goodness. Just fabulous!

    FACEBOOK COMMENT: Thanks Suzan - I've been lucky - able to earn a living off my art for most of my life - mind you, I drank a lot in those days at the restaurant and my brushes just flew across the wall - I had fun and the people got a kick out watching me paint too...cheers, eh!

    ReplyDelete

  2. FACEBOOK COMMENT: Sandra Fayle Hreno I remember taking you out to paint those, how wonderful that they were there on your special day.x

    FACEBOOK REPLY: Yeah, I remember too - thanks San

    ReplyDelete
  3. FACEBOOK COMMENT: Jane Farrell Your paintings are gorgeous,it must have been a very trying trip for you ,but you did it and accomplished a lot,now you are home so take time and get lots of rest,,

    FACEBOOK COMMENT: Thanks Jane - The trip was tiring and I'm taking a much needed break - the old body aint like he used to be...cheers, eh!

    ReplyDelete