Sunday, May 12, 2019

SPECIAL MOM'S IN MY LIFE

           Mom's day is a great day! For me, there's a touch of bitter sweet on this day - for mom's I had and mom's of my children and my mom in law, not to mention my grandmoms. I've been fortunate to have and have had all of these special ladies in my life and I love them all. 
          One certainly has to tip his hat to mothers, their endurance is profound and for the most part, their love is unconditional - somehow they always see the good in their kids, no matter what. As a kid, if I skinned my knee or was scared of something, I would go running to my mom crying but not my dad - somehow crying for a guy at any age doesn't seem so manly.  And besides, if I ran to my dad as a boy and showed him my bleeding knee, he might have said, "Hmm, that's quite a scratch. Don't worry though, it's a long way from your heart." Mommy's lap was always my first choice, not just because it felt warm and comforting but because it felt safe. There's a softness to a woman's body and her touch that even today, I still find assurance that everything will turn out alright, work itself out for the better. It's not that men can't be tender or considerate, to me, we always seem a little overbearing, like the world is tough, so toughen up.
              Yeah, mom's are great! When my mother was dying from lung cancer, I looked after her during her last six months. I almost took up smoking again from lighting her cigarettes - she set the bed on fire twice till I took her smokes and matches away - she was a smoker to the end. For her last birthday, since I enjoy doing calligraphy, I wrote her a poem and gave it a little flair of its own. Miss you mom...cheers, eh! 
           

2 comments:

  1. Yes I remember getting together for a smoke and coffee with your mom,take care Lennie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup - those were the days. I forgot that used to smoke too - cheers, eh!

    ReplyDelete