Thursday, May 23, 2019

READING BETWEEN THE LINES

Lookin' for a Ride
          As some may know, my wife and I have been planning a road trip to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island in our wee Hippie-Hangout trailer but because I haven't been in the best physical condition for quite some time, actually almost two years and still not in the best of shape, we've decided to fly there. That being said, I'm not sure if I should go for the blue or the brown diapers. I could wear the blue because even I am not quite sure anymore whether I'm male or not and that would at least reinforce my gender. And then again, I'm leaning towards the brown, besides matching the colour of my eyes, the deposit, if I somehow don't make it to a bathroom in time, might be camouflaged...hmm...then again the aroma, eu de toilette, I'm sure cannot be disguised. I suppose if passengers are turning to look at me or everyone is wearing an oxygen mask in case of an emergency, I'll get the hint that the jig's up, that I crapped my pants. Hopefully I won't be given a parachute and tossed out of the plane or the pilot doesn't pass out from the stink. 
Peace, eh!
          Up until a few days ago, I was pretty sure I wouldn't go. However, after receiving an email and reading between the lines, from a 70 year old friend who has been living in Mexico and Guatemala for about the last ten years and gives most of his old age pension to educate some kids - he lives in cheap places, sleeps on beaches when the tourists leave and rides a bicycle (not that long ago he got hit by a van, which destroyed his bike and broke three of his ribs) - I decided, even if I'm in rough shape now, which might be the best I will ever be again, to pack my bag, paints and brushes and head west for a month. It's been eight years since I've been back and I know, besides Sarah (who would have been excruciatingly disappointed) my kids, ex-wife and friends will all be pleased to see me. Of course, because of our finances, I still wouldn't be going if my daughter Brandi, who was planning to come to see me with her family in Saint John when I have a cancer check-up, rented us a place to stay. She said the price of our place would have equaled the cost of their two day visit. And where we'll be staying in Nanaimo is within walking distance from where I used to live on my sailboat - now how great is that! Also, Newcastle Island, where me and my little dog Misty walked around many times, is a short ferry ride away - I won't be walking far but it would be nice to just have these old feet shuffle around on friendly familiar ground for a little while once again, even if the feelings that arise might be bitter/sweet.
          It's amazing how hellos are uplifting and sometimes goodbyes are too (depending on the persons). But I don't kid myself, at this age and the problems I have, some of the people I'll be seeing when I get to Nanaimo, the hellos and goodbyes could be for the very last time. And even if they aren't, one has to make the best of it, and that my friends is one of the reasons why I'm going. I've always been a risk-taker - going down the middle of the road with a turn up ahead is what I've always been about...cheers, eh!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you guys are coming this summer 👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be good to see you guys as well...cheers, eh!

    ReplyDelete