Wednesday, June 20, 2018

TRIP'S TRIBUTE TO DR. KNAPP

                It's been a long time since I spent three summers at the Nanaimo Ferry Terminal sketching caricatures of tourists to earn a few bucks, which is probably one of the reasons I can say that my art can be found all over the world. Although my hands tremble a touch from the chemo treatments, unable to sleep much last night, I managed to draw a caricature of my surgeon, Dr. Gregory Knapp. I was glad that he smiled when he removed the wrapping paper because in actuality, Dr. Knapp is quite a handsome man.
               Now let me tell you about Dr. Knapp, if it wasn't for him, no one would ever be able to call me an A-Hole again because I would no longer have one. When Dr. Knapp first checked out my toothless wonder, which could only utter a single word, "fart", he had determined that I had cancer of the rectum. The cancer doctors said, "No," but certain that his prognosis was positive, once again Knappy boy, peered through my hairy orifice and nipped off another deeper chunk of my infection for a biopsy. The results were positive, which although it's not great to have cancer, it was actually beneficial because it meant that the operation I would undergo could be reversed and I wouldn't have an ileostomy bag attached to me for the remainder of my life.
             All kidding aside, over the months that Dr. Knapp became involved in my critical malady, each meeting I had with him, only made me fonder of him, not only as a surgeon but because there is a kindness and deep concern within his being. I also know that because my operation was supposed to be 3-5 hours and wound up taking 8 hours, he had taken the extra time to fix my problem.
               I feel as if I am a boxer in a ring up against a better boxer and Dr. Knapp is my trainer. He knew that I was going to get the crap beat out of me but still gave me hope. I'm probably in about the 8th round at the moment, bloody and bruised but he's still standing in my corner giving me advice. I won't win the boxing match outright but it's highly unlikely that I won't be knocked out. and in this case; I'm still a winner! 
              So thank you Dr. Knapp for all that you have done for me and my A-Hole; I wish you nothing but all the best that life has to offer to you and yours. Our paths may never cross again since I know that you are leaving New Brunswick very soon and this old man would just like to give you a big heartfelt thank you...peace, eh! - Trip

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great surgeon! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is and he spent a lot of time with us - when he found out I had picked up a bug in the hospital and was guaranteed, he took over being the doctor. Thanks for your interest Loretta in this blog - Peace, eh! - Trip

    ReplyDelete