Thursday, June 20, 2019

WELCOME BACK THE MESSENGER

          I woke up this morning to the sound of a skeeter about to dive bomb me and sink its proboscis into my wrinkly flesh, which made me crankier and meaner than a gut shot grizzly bear with two sucking cubs. Instead of blaring air-raid alarms and bright spotlights on the ceiling, I reached for the flyswatter lying next to the bed. Ah, ha I thought, gonna get you now, you blood-suckin' flying insect. Madly flailing the air around me until my arms tuckered out, I'm not sure if I was relieved or not, when I finally realized the noise I was hearing wasn't a mosquito but my ringing ears. Like my eyes and the rest of this tired old body, I guess they're plumb wore out too.
          Life here on our 50 acres of semi-wilderness land, where often is seen a deer, a moose, a bear or a lot of other forest creatures in the back yard, saddens me when I think about our government in New Brunswick headed by an Irving bean-counter. Their combined dinosaur brain attitudes is destroying the very earth we're standing on. Spraying the forests with poisonous glyphosate kills not only trees but kills everything else that lives within and outside those areas. It flows into the streams, rivers, lakes and even the ocean. 
          I dread going to Saint John, not because of my cancer treatments but because it's quite possibly one of the most disgusting smog-filled cities I've ever been in - the pollution is incredible. I'm surprised that the residents aren't protesting but then again, since many of them are probably employed by the industries, which are causing the pollution, it's understandable. 
          I'm amazed by a lot of people's lackadaisical thinking towards the very apparent destruction occurring in their own backyard. They say things like "if I don't do it, they'll just hire someone else", "whatever will be will be" and "I can't change anything". But that's all wrong; there are lots of things people can do - one of the main things being to vote for the right cause, which is not the economy - the economy to me is all a smoke screen, a load of propaganda. However, saying that, sustainability probably offers up more jobs that protect our environment than the ones that are being offered by the largest industrial polluters on the planet, which are destroying us - climate change is real - you only have to step out your own door to realize the weather is not performing like it used to not so long ago. The ice is melting at a devastating rate and the seas are rising - even the permafrost is beginning to melt, which will release dangerous amounts of methane into the atmosphere. The good Lord may have made a covenant that He wouldn't flood the world again, but He never said He wouldn't set it ablaze - methane is highly flammable. And if you don't think this is true, pull your pants tight against your ass, strike a match and watch the flame shoot out of your ass.  
          Before I was diagnosed with cancer, my energy level dropping day by day, I had to give up The Messenger, a publication, which came out once a month for three years. Up until the final issue, May 2017, "Good-bye" was published I tried to inform people, open up their eyes to the things that were happening on their own doorstep. Not that I'm in good health these days, most likely never will be, I'm considering republishing The Messenger.  I don't know how many of the people that read this blog and had read The Messenger but I'd be interested in your opinion on its revival. If I decide to publish it again, please keep in mind, although I do all the prep work for free, that it does cost to be printed and distributed Although it is free to the public, any advertising, donations or subscriptions will be a big help. Also, people will be able to read the monthly issues online for free as well. The first issue will be released in September 2019, so all ads must be in place and paid for a month before.
            I don't feel like I have the right to rant about a lot of things unless I'm prepared to actually do something and I like a good rant so I guess The Messenger was a good sounding board for me and could be again...cheers, eh!

2 comments:

  1. I think the Messenger renewable would be a great idea,I enjoyed reading it. Hope you can get it up and going..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Doreen - it was a lot of work but I enjoyed doing it...cheers, eh!

    ReplyDelete