Sunday, July 14, 2019

A WHALE OF A TALE - 3rd Episode - Trip 'n Daisy's Magical World Tour

          Bright psychedelic images flashed through my mind like an out of control kaleidoscope while Daisy and I were relaxing in the Hippie Hangout with a small group of friendly Greenlanders. Then jumpin'-Jack-flash quick, the next thing I knew, the truck and trailer were parked on top of a gargantuan whale's back almost surfing through the icy North Atlantic Ocean. Thankfully the sea is calm as I gather my wits and take in our surroundings but all I can see is water in every direction. Daisy is as astonished as me as she looks out the front starboard window and casually says, "Whatever. Icebergs, polar bears, why not take a trip on a huge freaking whale!"
          The thing about the sea, which really hits home, is when all the land, everything a person is familiar with, suddenly dips below the horizon and completely disappears. Earth doesn't seem the same any more even though you can feel it breathing; the mighty rollers going up and down with each breath. If you've never felt small before, it's like becoming a mere speck, a very humbling experience. 
      As wave after wave slithers across the whale's back and splashes up against the truck and trailer, splattering the front window with white foam, I'm mesmerized as I watch the effervescent bubbles pop and think to myself, wow, what a trip! This is so cool! I'd seen whales before, big whales too, but they were in the North Pacific when my buddies Winston, George and I sailed towards the Aleutian Islands on our way to the Northwest Passage. However, now as I looked towards the behemoth's head, a tower of water shooting skyward out of its blowhole as high as the Eiffel Tower, I'd never before seen such a gigantic whale. It was one whale of a whale! 
          In this crazy imaginative world where Daisy and I sometimes exist, I didn't think too much of it when the whale began singing like a beautiful mermaid - that is - until more whales began emerging from the depths. Surrounded by a chorus of whales, the notes trippin' along the waves and echoing in the troughs, it wasn't until large schools of dolphins joined in that a rhapsody of peace and love filled me to the core. Daisy must have been familiar with their music selection because she suddenly stood up and swaying to the beat of the splashing waves began to sing in a voice akin to Janice Joplin: 
                       Oh Lord, won't you
                       Buy me a Mercedes Benz
                       My friends all drive Porsches
                       I must make amends...                                        
          Their song choice seemed a little odd, but to an old hippie like me, it took me back to my younger days when my hair wasn't the colour of snow and I was able to leap a bar stool in a single bound, considered jumping off tall buildings, because sometimes, depending on my mind's condition, I was certain I could fly. Lost in Daisy's melodic words, combined with the backup chorus of the ocean denizens, I closed my eyes and like a sea breeze, let my mind drift, when poof! I heard the slap of the whale's fluke hit the surface of the sea and then, before I knew it, our Dodge Ram truck and Hippie Hangout were somersaulting through the clear blue sky...cheers, eh! 

DON'T MISS OUT - To be a follower of our magical mystery world tour - follow this blog or our Trip 'n Daisy page.

3 comments:

  1. Having fun, letting my imagination ramble. I know where the next place is but after that?...cheers, eh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FACEBOOK COMMENT: Sandra Brown I love Mercedes Benz. I had a beater Mercedes as a teen that I plastered with psychedelic flowers and drove all around town. My Dad knew what he was doing when he bought me a car with a cracked block, I couldn't drive fast at all.

    FACEBOOK REPLY: That's funny. Something else that's a bit funny too, is I never learned to drive a car. I only drove motorcycles and of course driving on the coast meant I could drive all year. Should have done a hippie paint job on the first ones, it would have been keeping with the times...cheers, eh!

    FACEBOOK COMMENT: Sandra Brown 👍 I could hardly wait to get my driver's license. At the time it meant freedom.

    ReplyDelete